Whittier Public Library Response to COVID-19
Keeping You Safe is Our Priority
We are all facing the challenges of a quickly changing landscape in response to the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19). As always, the health and safety of our patrons and staff is our priority. We are in constant communication with other city departments, local officials and health authorities.
Following the City of Whittier’s directive and out of an abundance of caution, we want to share the steps the library is taking to protect the health and safety of our patrons and staff while still providing essential library services:
- Following guidelines limiting the number of people in public buildings, we have closed the Central Library and the Whittwood Branch library until further notice
- During this time, due dates for borrowed materials will be automatically extended, no late fines will be assessed, and patrons can return materials when libraries reopen.
- Librarians are available to provide assistance through telephone reference (562) 567-9900 from 9am-5pm.
- Of course our many digital services (https://www.whittierlibrary.org/elibrary) remain available 24/7 at Whittierlibrary.org, including e-books and audiobooks; our streaming movie service Kanopy. https://www.whittierlibrary.org/elibrary/kanopy-e-movies
- Due to this announcement all Passport appointments will be cancelled. Please continue to check the Library’s website for additional updates.
- We created and will continue to update this resource page in English and Spanish with information about the COVID-19 virus and how to keep you and your loved ones safe.
You can stay updated on the library here on our website and following our social media accounts on Facebook @whittierlibrary and Instagram @whittierpubliclibrary
Once again, your health and safety is of utmost importance, and we will evaluate and adjust as new information becomes available. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause, and we thank you for your continued understanding and support.
Trustworthy and Up-to-Date Information to Help You Know the Facts and Avoid Misinformation
LA County Public Health http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/media/Coronavirus/
Center for Disease Control https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
U.S. National Library of Medicine https://medlineplus.gov/coronavirusinfections.html
World Health Organization https://www.who.int/emergencies/diseases/novel-coronavirus-2019
WHITTIER READS 2020
In light of the Safer At Home Health Order all Whittier Reads events have been cancelled. The WPLF is grateful for your support of Whittier Reads 2020. We look forward to resuming our activities as circumstances permit.
The purpose of the Whittier Public Library Foundation is to help secure and maintain the funding required for the Whittier Public Library to realize its mission. It seeks to do that through private and public fundraising, and to serve as a conduit between the Library and the changing needs of a diverse community.